[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Learning From History

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 07:50:09 PDT 2008

Donovan Arnold wrote:

> I am all for devising a system that only captures the terrorists, and
> doesn't capture any innocent people. However, I don't know of any such
> system. And I doubt that US Big Shot Lawyers in our Civil Court
> system are going to be any more capable or qualified of weeding out
> the real terrorists from the falsely imprisoned innocent people than
> the soldiers and intelligence experts on the ground. If anything, I
> just think all these lawyers will muddy the waters even more in an
> attempt to blur the lines between the guilty and innocent in the hopes
> of freeing their client, which may or may not be a terrorist that
> could kill innocent people as quickly as they are freed.

You would really trust the determination of innocence of the detainees
to their captors rather than a court of law which would require
evidence?  Even when our captors have gone through scandals such as Abu
Ghraib?  Does that extend to trusting our domestic police force to know
who is guilty and who is not as well, or is this just for the sub-humans
we've collected at Gitmo?

Paul