[Vision2020] Respect Vision 2020

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 18:53:31 PDT 2008

B. J. Swanson et. al.

I did an approximate count of the number of posts from May/June 2008 with
the words "Everyone Deserves Death" in the subject heading.  There were
variations on the wording introduced by different subscribers, such as
"[Idaho Atheists] Everyone Deserves Death, simply "Everyone Deserves Death"
and "Say What? Everyone Deserves Death."

There were far more posts than I suspected.  My count is probably off a post
or three: 63.  I counted 11 participants in this thread, some posting only
once or twice.  This thread was not dominated by a disagreement only between
two people.  Averaging 63 posts over 15 days, comes to 4.2 posts per day.

What is amazing is that within about the first 24 hours this "thread"
started late May 17, it generated 18 posts though late May 18, according to
Vision2020 archive times.  You are correct that this thread "exceeds 10-15
per day," as you wrote, at least for one day, though many of these posts
that first day were not directly dealing with the exact subject heading.  A
number of different topics were addressed, such as posting private e-mail to
Vision2020, Internet privacy rights, and fake identities of Vision2020
participants.

However, that one day outburst of posts included at least nine different
Vision2020 subscribers commenting... Hardly an example of Vision2020 being
used as "a personal blog for just a few." as you wrote.

In total in this thread over two weeks, some posts were insulting, some
thought provoking.  Many of the posts were explicitly educational about
religious issues based on solid research, with Ralph Nielsen and Chas both
presenting interesting facts and well reasoned arguments.   I learned a
few things.  I posted 8 times over a two week May/June period in this
thread.  Anyone can count the contributions of others.

I can understand objecting to this quantity of posts (63) on one subject
heading, that was a bit abstract and theological, and not linked directly
to only local issues, over a two week period.  And 18 posts in one day!

I often totally skip posts on a given subject heading.  Very easy.  If 15
posts on the Seattle Mariners appear in one day, I may ignore these posts,
thinking they are a waste of bandwidth.  But ignoring them does not waste
but a second or two of my time, as I scan the daily subject headings on
Vision2020.  The Mariners fans no doubt consider this topic a matter of life
and death!

Your objection to certain threads on Vision2020 was not merely that the tone
or quantity of the posts was questionable.  You objected to "unwinnable
arguments."  If all arguments that are viewed as "unwinnable" were taken
"Off List, " there would be a rather limited topic list.

Arguments on topics that could be deemed "unwinnable," that have graced
Vision2020 repeatedly, include the Iraq war, climate change, religion,
sexual and gender ethics, MSD property tax funding, local water resource
use, and local smart managed growth vs. pro-business development (it seems
these two viewpoints disagree confusingly on how to define and apply their
labels, with the pro-development crowd insisting they promote smart growth,
and the managed smart growth view insisting they are not anti-business, like
the pro-development crowd labeled them during the last Moscow City Council
election, involving the GMA vs. MCA disagreements, with "endless"
contentious discussion on Vision2020).

Perhaps a monitor would have shut the "Everyone Deserves Death" thread
down the first day, before 18 posts under this thread posted in 24 hours.

But might the quantity, and even the insults within, these posts reveal that
the topic arouses great passion; and thus was an indication of the
importance of this subject to many people? Vision2020 will inevitably
include a percentage of "junk" (in my opinion) posts.  I accept this as the
price of the freedom of an unmoderated list; and find this cost so far to be
acceptable given the benefits of unfettered discussion.  Topics arousing
great passion will generate passionate responses, some of them impolite,
given human foibles.

Those who object to Vision2020 being unmoderated are free to start their own
moderated community list serve.  In the Internet Information Age, this is
rather easy.

If only the cat herding would result in the cats keeping their posts to a 2
or 3 a day limit, except for occasional alley cat fights; and regularly
matching subject headings to post content.

B. J. Swanson wrote:

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2008-June/054451.html

If you want to continue these unwinnable arguments, how about taking them
off Vision 2020?
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett