[Vision2020] Super patriots

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Thu Jun 19 11:23:19 PDT 2008

The Japanese who were interned had absolutely nothing to do with the
Pearl Harbor attack. ALL persons of Japanese ancestry, whether they
were citizens or not, whether they were born in this country or not,
were rounded up and deported to internment camps in the interior of
the country.

Germans and Italians were not treated this way at all. Only those who
were deemed to be dangerous were interned.

Canada treated its Japanese in the same shameful manner. ALL of them
were rounded up and deported to the interior. Racism, not "national
security," was the main motivation behind this crime.

I know of two Germans who were sent to the internment camp at
Kananaskis, Alberta. (Kananaskis is just outside Banff National Park
and was the area where Brokeback Mountain was filmed.) One of them
was a rabid Nazi who was kept until the war was over.

The other was our neighbor, Louis. He was born in St. Joseph,
Missouri, of German parents and emigrated to Canada with his brother.
He bought the small farm across Highway 95 from my father's farm in
the early 1930s. He was a bachelor, and a good neighbor. For some odd
reason he had chosen the swastika for his cattle brand, although he
had no strong political views. (Many years later, long after the war,
a Kootenay Indian on the Columbia Reserve south of Windermere had a
swastika on the asphalt shingle roof of his house just below the
highway.)

Our good neighbor was held at Kananaskis for six months before they
sent him home again. The had found no evidence that he was dangerous
to anybody. This action created a lot of extra work for my father and
the other neighbors because we had to take care of Louis' farm and
cattle as well as our own. My father then persuaded him to borrow our
non-political cattle brand from then on. Louis had only a 6 or 7 head
of cattle, so this was no problem.

My father told me years later, when I was "old enough to know," that
Louis had been denounced by two "upstanding citizens" of Anglo-Saxon
origin. Besides the cattle brand, the evidence against Louis was that
he had been seen goose stepping in his fields like a Nazi soldier.
The facts were, that in order to step across the irrigation ditches
he had to take goose steps. Every other farmer had to do the same.

So I learned at a young age to be suspicious of super patriots. They
can do a lot of damage to their fellow human beings.

Ralph Nielsen

Kai Eiselein fotopro63 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 19 09:48:54 PDT 2008

Pearl Harbor was attacked, not invaded.
Two Aleutian Islands were occupied by the Japanese during WWII, that
was an invasion.

Little known fact: The Japanese were not the only group of people
sent to inter[n]ment camps. Germans were, too.