[Vision2020] Moscow Chamber: Your input is desired on possibleupcoming activities

jeanlivingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Thu Jun 19 11:21:25 PDT 2008

Darrel,

1.  A "Chalk Walk" is a great idea that has worked elsewhere and
drawn big crowds and provided lots of enjoyment.  I would definitely
come downtown to see it.  The opportunity to watch artists draw, and
chat with some of them while they are working is very attractive to
me.

2.  I prefer live music, if you can afford it.  My thoughts on
sources of bands is probably more detailed than is of interest to much
of the V2020 list. If so, skip to answer number three.

RE:  Music sources

I have access to lists of numerous local bands, not only through my
work with Rendezvous in the Park and its fundraiser that features
and promotes local music, the Showcase of Local Talent, but also
through the Arts Commission and its operation of the Farmer's Market
and the Thursday evening concerts in East City Park.  You probably
want to decide what kind of music you seek, and then getinput on
bands/acts that can provide what you are seeking.

The Rendezvous web site,
http://www.moscowmusic.com/Rendezvous/ , will only show you the
local musician's that have been selected to perform at Rendezvous,
(to  look at the past performers, scroll to the bottom of this year's
front page (the link above) and click on links to past years'
line-ups).  Frankly, there have been many fine bands that played the
Showcase but were not selected for Rendezvous, or submitted CDs to
perform at the Showcase but were not selected to play at the
Showcase.  The competition is tough, and the quality judgments are
inevitably subjective.  I would be happy to share with you the
identity of any of the local performers who have ever applied to play
in the Showcase.  The talent in this community is broad and deep.

There is also a musician's guild that has formed in Moscow, and I
would imagine that they canbe an excellent source for you.  Just up
the streeet from you at Guitars Friend, you will generally find Brian
Gill working.  He is involved with the musician's guild and can offer
you whatever insight and/or contacts that they may offer.

A full two blocks from the Chamber at City Hall, you will find
Kathleen Burns, the City's Arts Director.  She maintains lists and
contact info for a variety of musical acts.  Over the years numerous
acts have performed at the Market and at the Thursday summer
concerts in East City Park.  The Arts Commission/Kathleen's music
requirements and contacts are extensive and varied.

The Co-op also compiles a list of local musicians who play
regularly.

I think you will find that some of the local bars bring in mostly
"out-of-town" acts, John's Alley, for example, but that other bars,
coffee houses, theaters and fraternal organizations have contact info
for local bands, too.  I'd rather not try tolist them all, as
inevitably I'd overlook one and don't want to slight anyone.

3.  Given the music and chalk art that will be going on, I am not
sure whether other activities are needed, but maybe you could have a
local home brewer demonstrate the making of beer or some such thing
that fits with your Oktoberfest side of the day.  October is late
enough to be a little cold for a dunking booth, but maybe some other
"county fair" type activities would be possible.

4.  I would think that our local merchants might plan a "Sidewalk
Sale" offering special deals on merchandise they would like to
publicize or move from their inventory.  My small college home town
in Ohio had an annual sidewalk sale (in the summer, not October), and
it was a "big deal," with broad participation by the merchants and the
community.  Something like that ought to work here.

I am not sure what you mean by a "merchant show." Please elaborate.

Lastly, congratulations on involving the community and planning what
sounds like a great event.

Bruce Livingston