[Vision2020] GITMO Detainees Can Challenge Detention

Tom Hansen idahotom at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 16 17:46:45 PDT 2008

"Arnold" stated:

"A declared war must be declared by the United States Congress, not the President."
Thank you, Arnold.  That quote is better than what I was hoping for.

By your own admission, then, Iraq/Afghanistan are NOT wars (by your own definition).

And Yes.  You are correct when you stated that the Geneva Convention is not solely applicable to "wars", but specifically addresses "armed conflicts", the definition of which is inclusive of the Iraq and Afghanistan armed conflicts.

Now, to start on the venture which will definitively delineate (as I promised earlier) the violations committed by George Bush, former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, and those many, many "interrogators".

As a preface I invite you to read and, please, become familiar with the Geneva Convention relative to the treatment of Prisoners of War (er . . . uh . . . armed conflict, I mean), at:

http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/91.htm

Especially Article 4 where it starts . . .

Article 4

A. Prisoners of war, in the sense of the present Convention, are persons belonging to one of the following categories, who have fallen into the power of the enemy:

Then we will discuss, in detail, Part 2 (General Protection of Prisoners of War)

Ready?

I will give you tonight and tomorrow to mull this over.

This is going to be fun for me and a learning experience for you.