[Vision2020] GITMO Detainees Can Challenge Detention

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jun 16 15:18:47 PDT 2008

Roger -

They only way a person becomes a prisoner of war is being apprehended
during a declared war.  You cannot simply apply the POW tag at a whim when
it is to your liking.

I do not recall any declared war.  Unless you consider Bush's GWOT (Global
War On Terror) to be an official sanctioned, declared war, which (for
obvious reasons) fails the litmus test.

Another thing:  These detainees were never considered to be prisoners of
war.  If they are, in fact, POWs, President Bush, former Secretary of
Defense Rumsfeld, and a whole slew of "interrogators" should be brought
before a military tribunal for crimes against humanity; remember "water
boarding" among other applied forms of torture clearly delineated in Army
regulations as violations of the Geneva and Hague Conventions.

This isn't simply my opinion, Roger.  This is straight facts.  If you
would like, I will spend the next few days outlining these violations,
specification by specification, and how they clearly violate the
aforementioned conventions.

> Tom and Liz
> Regardless of the semantics on a declaration of war, If they were
captured during a
battle, they should be considered prisoners of war. To release them and
sent them home,
the take home message to our solders is- Take no prisoners.
> Roger

heard was that
you have to define "war" in the Constitution.  The argument was that the
Constitution
refers to war between the U.S. and another country, not individuals and
not groups. Though
I haven't verified this by any means. The family member went on to say
that the U.S. never
went to war with Afghanistan. Afghanistan is where many of the
detainees�were captured.
If this is the case, are they really prisoners of war?

> > Tom & Liz Ivie

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)