[Vision2020] Idaho's 23 Democratic Delegates

Kai Eiselein fotopro63 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 16 08:44:43 PDT 2008

Chas, what it boils down to is, race and/or sexual orientation has absolutely nothing to do with a delegate's ability.
I think you may have captured it with your statement, "It certainly communicates an intentional diversity that would surprise many non-Idahoans who know only our redneck reputation."
It may very well be a politcal ploy, using race and sexual orientation as a way to say, "We are diverse, see?"
But should that "intentional diversity" lead someone to think Idaho is more diverse than what it is, wouldn't it be a lie?> Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:37:35 -0700> From: chasuk at gmail.com> To: fotopro63 at hotmail.com> Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Idaho's 23 Democratic Delegates> CC: janesta at gmail.com; vision2020 at moscow.com; debismith at moscow.com> > I'm glad that you have made it to WinCo and Wal-Mart. And Nampa,> Caldwell, and Nogales, too! I understand that there are regions of> Idaho that aren't "lilly white anymore." However, being white in> Idaho is still the default expectation, regardless of what your "arse"> is telling you. In 2005, 0.84% of the Idaho population was black, and> being PC doesn't change that.> > Yes, I know that there is an increasingly large minority of Hispanics.> Still, they make up less than one out of every ten people, and in> many, many areas they are nonexistent.> > On a list of 23 delegates, nine are non-Caucasian. That is> surprising, even if only statistically. It certainly communicates an> intentional diversity that would surprise many non-Idahoans who know> only our redneck reputation. I approve of the message that the> National Democratic Convention is sending to those outside of the> state, and to the still too-plentiful bigots and racists who pollute> our state.> > The above paragraph encapsulates entirely my use of the word> "surprising." If you want to the read something else into it, then> please climb back onto your high horse. If you want to pretend that> it still isn't surprising in light of my elucidation, again feel free.> However, I am not racist, bigoted, provincial, or untraveled.> > > They only reason Obama and Clinton are singled out is because of the fact> > they are THE FIRST. The first black man and the first woman to have a chance> > at the presidency. We don't make much note of women or minorities in other> > elected positions anymore, I doubt we will of the presidency in the future,> > either.> > The only reason? No. The main reason? Arguably. Listen to people> in West Virgina and Pennsylvania who tell interviewers that they won't> vote for a black man because "Americans aren't ready for a black> president, yet." This perfectly expresses both your point and mine.> > > I know you hate sports, but it is a microcosm of Americana. The first blacks> > to play pro ball outside of the "Negro League" made headlines, so did Jewish> > and Japanese players. Now its old hat, the same will happen in politics, if> > allowed to.> > Agreed.> > > Still, why is one's sexual orientation of importance as a delegate is beyond> > me.> > For the same reasons that I gave above regarding race. Because it is> reputation healing, and because of what it communicates to to> too-plentiful homophobes who pollute our state.> > Chas