[Vision2020] Idaho's 23 Democratic Delegates

Kai Eiselein fotopro63 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 15 22:54:22 PDT 2008

Chas, you really should get out more. Perhaps a trip to Winco or WalMart would show you there is a wide variety of ethnicity close to home.
Go to the L/C Valley, you'll see people of all colors there, too, believe it or not. Same with CdA, or perhaps you've blown through Tensed, Plummer and Worley so fast you've never realized that another culture lives just a few miles north of here?
Better yet, howzabout a road trip to Payette, Nampa or Caldwell? There have been two places in my life where I've had to place an order for a "meal" at McDonalds in Spanish.
One was in Nogales, Arizona, the other was in Nampa, Idaho.
The only so called "white bastions" are in the small towns and even those aren't lilly white anymore. Take Kendrick, while my daughter was in school, there were several "students of color" including Hispanics representing Costa Rica, Mexico, and Puerto Rico. Tribal members of the Nez Perce and Couer d'Alene tribes and even a couple of Hawaiians.
Go to any of these small towns around Latah County and you'll find Orientals, eastern Europeans, Hispanics; all sorts of people. Not in the numbers you'll find in gateways or large cities, of course, but they are there, working contributing and being a part of these communites.
So, "white is the default", my arse.
They only reason Obama and Clinton are singled out is because of the fact they are THE FIRST. The first black man and the first woman to have a chance at the presidency. We don't make much note of women or minorities in other elected positions anymore, I doubt we will of the presidency in the future, either.
I know you hate sports, but it is a microcosm of Americana. The first blacks to play pro ball outside of the "Negro League" made headlines, so did Jewish and Japanese players. Now its old hat, the same will happen in politics, if allowed to.
Still, why is one's sexual orientation of importance as a delegate is beyond me.> Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:18:32 -0700> From: chasuk at gmail.com> To: janesta at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Idaho's 23 Democratic Delegates> CC: fotopro63 at hotmail.com; vision2020 at moscow.com> > On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 14:09, Janesta <janesta at gmail.com> wrote:> > > I was wondering the same thing. If the are going to specify race, then ALL> > of the people listed should have their race after their name, not just a> > select group.> > I'm afraid I don't see the problem. "White" is the default race in> Idaho. To specify a default would add nothing notable or surprising,> whereas the disproportionate presence of minorities on the list does> add information that is notable and (at least marginally) surprising.> > We don't specify that McCain is white, after all. But we do specify> that Barack is black and Clinton is a woman.> > Chas