[Vision2020] Venting Again

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 18:29:03 PDT 2008

I'm going to vent here for a moment.

My daughter filled out several important applications at the start of
the last semester, well in advance of the mid-May deadline.  She
queried regularly to check the status of the applications.  All is
well, she was repeatedly told.  Two days past the deadline, they
discovered that the applications had had never left the outbox of a
minor factotum's desk.  One of the applications involved a
perfunctorily approved student loan.  Now she had to apply for a loan
requiring a co-signer, which was arranged, and the loan approved.
Instead of transferring the funds electronically, a check was issued
and sent via regular post.  My daughter took the check to the bank,
where she was informed that "bank policy" required 10 days for the
check to clear.  She was discouraged, but waited the 10 days, having
no other choice.  At the end of the 10 days, the money was still not
in her account.  When she asked for an explanation, they informed her
that she had forgotten to endorse the check, so they sent ti back to
the issuer.  They didn't phone her and ask her to come in and sign it,
they simply mailed it back to the issuer and let her wait 10 days to
learn of her mistake.

Now the process begins again, and, if she is lucky, the paperwork will
be completed before it is too late.

I HATE freaking jobsworth losers, who seem to live for the enforcement
of petty regulations.  There is a letrer-versus-spirit of the law anus
in any organization, so I shouldn't be surprised, but it sure is
frustrating.

Chas