[Vision2020] Architecture Student Designs for Legacy Crossing on Display June 13

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jun 11 14:26:10 PDT 2008

>From UI's "Today at Idaho" website at:

http://www.today.uidaho.edu/details.aspx?id=4403

Architecture Student Designs for Legacy Crossing on Display June 13

MOSCOW, Idaho – The removal of the empty, rundown buildings and silos on
Sixth Street in downtown Moscow, where the new Moscow Urban Renewal
project is slated to be, was anticipated by many.

For one University of Idaho professor it was different, and he used his
experiences as a learning tool for his students.

"Walking back and forth from school and home, I thought 'what a shame that
these evocative structures are being removed,'" said Randall Teal,
assistant professor of architecture.

Whatever is built there will have a huge impact on Moscow and the
university, Teal said about the emptying lots. He hopes it will be
positive.

To help influence positive growth, Teal created a project for his fourth
year architecture students. His class spent an entire semester
understanding the site and designing spaces that the community and the
university would enjoy. The semester culminated with presentations of the
designs to the Moscow City Council in May.

“To become familiar with the site, we started with more artistic works to
allow our thoughts to be freely expressed, not methodically confined as
the design phase can be,” said Nicole Calzacorta , a senior in
architecture and interior design.

Those artistic works led to the creation of specific ideas for
redeveloping the old agricultural industrial site between campus and
downtown. Fifteen students each designed two projects for a mix of plans
and rendered project views.

"We focused only on the site between downtown and the university," said
Teal. "I had each student work alone with the intention of developing a
range of possibilities. From this, each student then focused on one small
location and developed it as well."

"By selecting one of the proposed building footprints and developing it
into an actual building that would address how it integrates into the
community on a site, city and regional level, I developed my design for a
concert hall," said Calzacorta.

Erik Hatch, now an architecture graduate student, created plans for a
parking garage. "Both Moscow and the university are in desperate need of
parking, but the cookie-cutter replicated parking garage is not what is at
the heart of Moscow’s sense of place," he said.

“Designing for a smaller community can be just as challenging as a big
city design,” Hatch said. “There are just as many important design and
human considerations in our teeny tiny Moscow as any place on the planet.”

Hatch has worked on the design for a hospital in Reno, Nev. He currently
is working on an addition to the University of California Davis medical
center near Sacramento, Calif.

“The City Council liked how many of the designs responded to the spirit of
this place,” Teal said.

The student's proposed designs, among others submitted to the Moscow City
Council, will be on exhibit Friday, June 13 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in City
Hall as part of Art Walk. A smaller selection of designs will remain on
display through Friday, June 20. The Moscow City Hall is located at 206
East Third St.

Seeya at Farmers' Market, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)