[Vision2020] Economist Rankings of the World's Greatest

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 15:40:43 PDT 2008

> A quick phone call to our local food bank and a brief conversation with its
> director informs me that the "food banks frequently run out of food" answer
> to my question is nonsense, at least here in Latah county. I was told that
> since the banks inception such a thing has never happened.

Right. Back when I was running a food bank, there were three large
categories of item that we frequently ran out of:

(1) Things you can't buy with food stamps, but which are available at
food banks: tampons, diapers, toilet paper. Note that, without food
stamps, everything would fall into this category.

(2) Things which serve critical needs, but which weren't donated
frequently enough: baby food, meat, canned vegetables, rice, ramen,
dried and canned soup and other pre-prepared meals (critical for the
homeless, people living in SROs and motels without access to other
housing).

(3) Perishable items like meat. The rural food banks had it better
than we did, because they used roadkill.

The things we never ran out of were, unsurprisingly, the things
provided by the government. And, frankly, we never would. The USDA
subsidizes food banks by providing food directly to the Idaho Food
Bank Warehouse. FEMA subsidized our food bank by providing roughly
$8,000 to buy USDA-surplus food from the Idaho Food Bank Warehouse.
If it weren't for food stamps (and if it weren't for David Beard over
in the law school) they'd be running out of every other type.

This particular system is remarkably less efficient, both in terms of
market distortion (agricultural subsidies; government purchase of
surplus food) and logistics (large, government-run warehouses to hold
food) than using the private food distribution network to get food to
hungry people.