[Vision2020] Economist Rankings of the World's Greatest

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 3 15:30:42 PDT 2008

In part, Gary Crabtree wrote:

"A quick phone call to our local food bank and a brief conversation with its
director informs me that the "food banks frequently run out of food" answer
to my question is nonsense, at least here in Latah county. I was told that
since the banks inception such a thing has never happened."

Well, I don't know that the OP had such a narrow vision of the food bank
world as to look only at Latah County.  Certainly over in Whitman County
there have been problems through the years keeping the various food banks
stocked, which is a very common problem around the rest of the United
States.  Kudos to those of us in Latah County who apparently keep our local
food banks adequately stocked, but that's the crux of the problem, isn't it?
Not all communities are able to be so generous.

And, I'm sure during your conversation the food bank director talked about
the lack of fresh produce and meat, important things for the diet, right?
That's a couple of problems for you right there . . .

Besides, I think Paul already answered your question - did you not read his
post last night?

Having worked with clients who relied on access to food banks to survive,
there's something humiliating and perhaps even shameful about forcing people
to ask for private charity, at least, that's what my clients told me.  While
food banks can be a godsend, not all are run the same, and what's available
at any food bank can vary from day-to-day, which can be a huge problem for
those with medical conditions requiring special diets.  I'm not currently in
the field, but there never used to be fresh produce available (although my
hope is that's changed from May to October with Backyard Harvest) and meat
was really only available for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Even locally,
then, there are huge gaps our local food banks can't meet AFAIK.

As the apparently richest country in the world, I do find it shameful that
we're not meeting such a basic human need as healthy and nutritious food for
all.  Food banks can be great, but there's something very wrong when we as
the richest country in the world have turned our collective backs on such a
basic human need as healthy and nutritious food for all.  It's a pretty
risky proposition to force those in need to depend on the charity of others
for such a basic thing as food . . .

JMHO,

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2008 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****