[Vision2020] Pet Rabbit Alerts Family to Fire

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jul 26 06:29:21 PDT 2008

>From the Associated Press at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvpEC2rrGA8

Pet Rabbit Alerts Family to Fire

A pet rabbit is credited with saving a couple from a raging fire that
swept through their home in the southern Australian city of Melbourne
early Thursday. (July 25)[Notes:opens with SOT:] "our little fuzzy hero at
the moment." Michelle Finn holds her pet rabbit "Rabbit" -- just a few
feet away, the burned out remnants of part of her home.Finn says Rabbit
woke her and her husband up, saving them from the flames.SOT: Michelle
Finn, Rabbit Owner: "he can make a lot of noise, which is good." Rabbit
scratched at the bedroom door waking Finn's husband, giving the couple
time to get out of the house and call the fire department. As you'd
suspect -- firefighters say this might be a first.SOT: Nick Beagley,
Metropolitan Fire Brigade: "i've got to say, this is the first time that
I've ever heard of a rabbit bringing a fire to somebody's attention."
[Notes:various of fire damage]Finn says sure, there's damage to the house,
but thanks to Finn, everyone is safe. Finn: "I mean, we've lost probably a
lot of the important stuff, like personal photos and all of that sort of
gear, but we're here."

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

- The Associated Press

Seeya at Farmers' Market, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)