[Vision2020] Info Regarding Political Signs

Don Coombs mushroom at moscow.com
Mon Jul 21 13:33:16 PDT 2008

Sue Hovey wrote:
> I understand there have to be some limits to the size of a sign and
> placement restrictions, and I believe court decisions have indicated
> those restrictions to be legal, but help me understand why there are ANY
> limits to the number of days during which a sign may be displayed.  I
> think this prohibition needs to be reconsidered.
>
> Dan Carscallen, are you reading this?  If so, I think someone on the
> council needs to take a look for surely it is a violation of a
> person's First Amendment rights to set a time line on freedom of
> speech.
>
> Are there others out there who might be willing to work to get this
> timeline prohibition changed?  I am planning to post a yard sign which
> reads, "Support our Troops--Vote Democrat."  I suppose that means I
> can't legally place it in my yard until early September.

I have no doubt this restriction is a violation of the
First Amendment.

I'm also sure that most of us on the V2020 list have
many better things to do than try to change the
ordinance. That's because no one is put at any
disadvantage or damaged in any way, even emotionally,
by the ordinance.

If people want to campaign to change the ordinance, I
hope that after they succeed everyone will still abide
by it. They will still abide by the restrictions
because of simple neighborliness; limited tenure for
political posters makes our city a more attactive place.

If I were a candidate I would want to abide by the
restrictions for that same reason, and because the
voters would appreciate that demonstration of
neighborliness.

Don Coombs