[Vision2020] Book Cites Secret Red Cross Report of C.I.A. Torture of Qaeda Captives

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 01:14:36 PDT 2008

Jane Mayer's *The Dark Side: The Inside Story of How the War on Terror
Turned Into a War on American
Ideals*<http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Inside-Terror-American/dp/0385526393/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215778132&sr=8-1>
------------------
http://psychoanalystsopposewar.org/blog/2008/07/11/a-glimpse-inside-jane-mayers-the-dark-side/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/11/washington/11detain.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Text below from nytimes URL above:

WASHINGTON — Red Cross investigators concluded last year in a secret report
that the Central Intelligence
Agency<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/c/central_intelligence_agency/index.html?inline=nyt-org>'s
interrogation methods for high-level Qaeda prisoners constituted torture and
could make the Bush administration officials who approved them guilty of war
crimes, according to a new book on counterterrorism efforts since 2001.

The book says that the International Committee of the Red Cross declared in
the report, given to the C.I.A. last year, that the methods used on Abu
Zubaydah<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/z/abu_zubaydah/index.html?inline=nyt-per>,
the first major Qaeda figure the United States captured, were
"categorically" torture, which is illegal under both American and
international law.