[Vision2020] Energy saving lightbulbs... a different take

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 9 13:48:55 PDT 2008

Actually, I found Poe's little diatribe rather amusing  :-)  Clearly the man
has not had much experience cleaning up broken glass because many of the
EPA's recommendations (note:  they appear to be recommendations rather than
"regulations" as he stated) pertain to the safety of cleaning up broken
glass in general  :-)

With respect to the mercury content, I was curious as to how much mercury
there is in CFLs compared to the old-style thermometers I used to look
forward to getting broken so I could play with the mercury.  So, this is
what I found:
http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact
_Sheet_Mercury.pdf

Presumably, this is the same 3 page document Poe entered into the record.
Of course, he chose to read selectively, which is something all politicians
seem to be adept at  :-)  For instance, anyone with common sense knows not
to use a vacuum to clean up broken glass on hard floors (duh!), but Poe
chose not to make the distinction the EPA makes  :-)

Now, I know that WalMart specifically was really gung-ho for this bill to
pass and spent lots of money on the effort because WalMart stands to make
lots and lots of money from the transition to CFLs, something they've been
pushing for at least a couple of years.

So, rather than bashing the EPA's recommendations to consumers on how to
handle the CFLs WalMart wants us to all be forced to buy, and rather than
poking fun at our congressional members who are trying to help us along in
becoming more energy efficient (BTW, I agree with Andy that we need to move
past CFLs), perhaps Poe should have used this as a great example of how Big
Business' special interests get laws through Congress to tell us what kind
of light bulbs we can buy  :-)

To me, that's the real story here.

Perhaps he's ticked that the WalMart biggies apparently didn't substantially
contribute to his 2006 campaign and that's why he targeted this particular
bill to speak out against:
http://www.newsmeat.com/campaign_contributions_to_politicians/donor_list.php
?candidate_id=H4TX02108
It will be interesting to see if his speech brings those WalMart
contributors back to the fold  :-)  Somehow, I'm guessing it won't, but who
knows?

BTW, those who were following the waterboarding as torture discussion might
not be surprised to know that Poe doesn't think it is
(http://archive.glennbeck.com/news/12122007b.shtml).

JMHO,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2008 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****