[Vision2020] Some thoughts on terrorists and torture.

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 8 14:35:16 PDT 2008

In part, Roger wrote:
"I am not sure what all water boarding consists of. If it is nothing more
than repeated dunking, I am not sure that it is."

You've already gotten great info, so now you know what waterboarding is.  I
thought every adult US citizen knew what waterboarding was by now -- it's
certainly been in the news long enough, and since it's a torture . . . I
mean, a technique . . . that's use has been authorized, we as citizens have
a responsibility to know what it is, for goodness sake.

And, I'm . . . surprised it's not clear to you that both waterboarding and
repeated dunking *are* torture.  There are many, many, many documented
instances where it's undeniable that the horror of repeated dunking as an
"enhanced interrogation technique" is torture, pure and simple.  As is
waterboarding.  Actually, immersion techniques as a form of torture are
well-recognized and nothing new at all.  Due to the perversion of some human
minds, there are many variations, but torture is torture is torture is
torture.

Should you have any doubts, I suggest reading _Nunca Mas_, the report of the
Argentine National Commission on the Disappeared which documents the
atrocities of Argentina's Dirty War.  The military junta called the
technique of repeated dunking "submarino," and it undoubtedly qualifies as
torture by any sane definition of the word.

I'd suggest having someone try it on you so you could form your own
firsthand opinion, but on second thought:  DON'T!!!  It is dangerous.
People DIE while being subjected to waterboarding, and people DIE while
being repeatedly dunked.  Instead, read the accounts of those who have
experienced waterboarding firsthand.  While it's not nearly the same
experience as those who have had it done For Real, read what Christopher
Hitchens has to say.  Read the accounts of real survivors.

I know you say you are opposed to torture, Roger, so I'm curious how you
would define it if techniques like waterboarding and having one's head
repeatedly and forcefully submerged to a point -- hopefully, at least for
the "interrogators" -- just short of death don’t qualify as torture?

And, I'm incredibly sad that we even need to have a discussion about whether
such acts at the behest of ***our*** government constitute torture  :-(

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2008 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****