[Vision2020] Could it -- or has it -- Happen in this Area?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jul 5 11:06:01 PDT 2008

I'm guessing that, unless we put the skids to it now, in about six years
there will be a ribbon-cutting ceremony for Wal-Mart's newest and biggest
super colossal supercenter in the heart of a region previously known as
the Idaho Wilderness.

> And the damage toll from the Bush administration climbs higher still . .
>

> It will take decades to reverse the damage caused by this man's
oafishness> , ignorance, and bloviating.

> Have mercy.
>
> Keely
>

> > Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 00:10:16 -0700
> > From: sslund_2007 at verizon.net
> > To: vision2020 at moscow.com
> > Subject: [Vision2020] Could it -- or has it -- Happen in this Area?
> >
> > Closed-Door Deal Could Open Land In Montana
> > Forest Service Angers Locals With Move That May Speed Building
> >
> > By Karl Vick
> > Washington Post Staff Writer
> > Saturday, July 5, 2008; Page A01
> >
> > MISSOULA, Mont. -- The Bush administration is preparing to ease the
way>  for
> > the nation's largest private landowner to convert hundreds of thousands
o> f
> > acres of mountain forestland to residential subdivisions.
> >
> > The deal was struck behind closed doors between Mark E. Rey, the former
> > timber lobbyist who oversees the U.S. Forest Service, and Plum Creek
Ti> mber
> > Co., a former logging company turned real estate investment trust that
> is
> > building homes. Plum Creek owns more than 8 million acres nationwide,
> > including 1.2 million acres in the mountains of western Montana, where
> local
> > officials were stunned and outraged at the deal.
> >
> > "We have 40 years of Forest Service history that has been reversed in
the
> > last three months," said Pat O'Herren, an official in Missoula
County> , which
> > is threatening to sue the Forest Service for forgoing environmental
> > assessments and other procedures that would have given the public a
voice>  in
> > the matter.
> > <snip>

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/04/AR200807>
040

> Need to know now? Get instant answers with Windows Live Messenger.
> http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?
ocid=TXT_TAGLM> _WL_messenger_072008>

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)