[Vision2020] Book reviews

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 23:59:43 PST 2008

Roger Falen wrote:

I mentioned breakthrough because it recommend solving problems through
technology not excessive regulation. I realize they would use government to
do this. While some business incentives would be justified, it should
basically be left up to the free market. I said that the approach of
breakthrough and  A contract with Earth are different.
Roger
--------
It would be wonderful if the free market and grass roots efforts could
substantially and rapidly address climate change, and eventual fossil fuel
depletion, given the critical need to roll out alternative energy
technologies.  But given the pace of the roll out so far, this is not
working.

There is too much short term profit to be made maintaining the fossil fueled
powered economy mostly as it is, for the "free market" to address climate
change quickly enough to lessen the destructive and very costly long term
effects, while an oil crisis that could cripple our economy becomes more
probable every year.  Of course some energy corporations could make a
killing off an oil crisis; and we see Exxon/Mobil making record setting
profits (the most of any corporation in history) in recent years, as
pressures on the oil markets have pushed gasoline to a sustained high price
in the USA, hurting consumer spending and stressing middle and lower class
budgets.

I guess you do not favor a massive "Apollo" styled government program to
promote roll out of alternative energy technologies.  But I don't really see
any other way to realistically address a quick and significant
implementation of alternative energy.  For example, do you
think Exxon/Mobil, the largest oil corporation on the planet, with
incredible resources to lobby the US government (VP Cheney's secret energy
corporation meetings...), is going to push for the rapid roll out of
alternative non-fossil fuel energy in the free market?

I think the answer is obvious.  No.

Ted Moffett