[Vision2020] Vision2020 Digest, Vol 19, Issue 219

donald edwards donaledwards at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 30 12:29:05 PST 2008

RE:  "Did you know that if you have a meter-reader come onto your property to read the meter and they fall, breaking something - YOU get to foot the bill for their getting better....no matter how long that takes? And yes, your homeowners insurance is likely to go WAY up if not in fact canceled."

Technology has solved this issue.  Look outside at your new digital meter from ITRON (stock symbol: ITRI)  A spokane based company growing worldwide with meters and software.  These either automatically report into the central station or are read from the street via RFID chips that send a radio frequency signal.  Clearwater Power co. has the option to read your own meter or pay $3/mo for the automatic reporting.  Not sure what Avista is offering now with the new meters but these do help track and report problems and inefficiencies in the system.

Oh yeah, let's not forget that our rates are based on an estimated basis over the winter months to prevent the scenario Kit is talking about; although, I'm pretty sure this would be a case for Workman's Comp through the city employee benefits program as a work involved hazard not individual property owner liability.  Let's keep it real here and not resort to political scare tactics.