[Vision2020] Contractors

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Tue Jan 29 19:47:02 PST 2008

Imagine this alternative to Chasuk's loss-of-home scenario: The widow
of a soldier killed in Iraq has two pre-school children. She is going
to the university to earn a degree so she can get a job that will
support her family (rather than remaining on welfare). She can't
afford a car so she walks everywhere. While traversing a scofflaw's
stretch of icy sidewalk, she slips, falls, strikes her head, and ends
up in a permanent vegetative state. The scofflaw is sued. His
homeowner's insurance pays the bill, then declines to renew his
policy. Other companies refuse to touch him. Because his mortgage
included a requirement that he have insurance, he violates his
contract with the bank. The bank forecloses. He looses the house that
was his lifetime goal.

Perhaps everyone would have been better off if the Scofflaw accepted
his responsibility and made arrangements for someone to do his walk
while he was gone. On my block, that is often a quid-quo-pro
arrangement. For many of the on-fixed-income retirees I know, they
find the money to pay someone--even if it means they need to give
something up.

PCEI has a great program for those who truly need help. I thank
everyone who is lending their back to this effort. That includes
responsible property owners, all those who quietly clear their
neighbors' walks, and those who volunteer for PCEI's Snow Patrol.
Working as a community, we can make Moscow's sidewalks safe in winter.

For those who can do their sidewalks but don't (especially
landlords), it is actually very simple: your property, your problem,
you solve it.

Kit Craine