[Vision2020] Contractors

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 29 17:10:28 PST 2008

Hi Again Matt and Other Interested Visionaries:

Thanks for the response - I enjoy the conversation.

In reading your response, I'm worried that I may have inadvertently given
the impression with my second to the last paragraph that I was somehow
questioning any eligibility criteria the City & PCEI have regarding
eligibility for assistance from Snow Patrol volunteers.  Please allow me to
clarify I absolutely didn't mean to give that impression at all.

This was my last paragraph:

"However, even if I had didn't have a crappy back, I don't think I'd be too
interested in spending too much time volunteering to clear sidewalks for
those able-but-unwilling to do the job themselves to help keep the rest of
us safe, you know?  Nor am I very interested in having my tax dollars go to
clear the sidewalks of those able-but-unwilling to do the job themselves to
help keep the rest of us safe."

I apologize for being unclear:  those thoughts had absolutely nothing to do
with our wonderful volunteer Snow Patrol Program.

Rather, that paragraph was meant to address the kind of generic attitude
I've heard and read that, "Yeah, it's important that sidewalks be cleared,
but we shouldn't fine non-elderly, non-differently-abled property owners who
choose not to clear the sidewalks they're responsible for - let's have
volunteers do it or find some other solution."

I think the idea of "neighbors helping neighbors" some have mentioned is
great!  Those situations aren't a problem because someone is willingly
clearing those sidewalks.

But, that doesn't change the fact that too many sidewalks aren't being
cleared in a timely matter, and it's a public safety issue.  For those who
don't believe me, talk to kids who walk to school.  Talk to our elderly,
many of whom become shut-in when there's snow on the ground because they're
- rightly --  afraid of falling on uncleared sidewalks.  Take to our
differently-abled community members, and to those who work with them.  Talk
to people who still walk to work even in the winter, or to the college
students who walk to campus.  Listen to people like Janesta and Bev and
myself and all the others who don't turn a blind eye or a deaf ear to the
problem.  There is a public safety issue that's problem during the winter
months year after year after year.

Clearly, I'm not directing my rant <g> at you, Matt, because you have
admirably become part of the solution for the elderly and differently-abled
property owners who aren't able to clear their sidewalks.  Again, my sincere
gratitude to you and to the others who are helping!

I'm intrigued with the idea of having youth (and adults, too, who aren't
gainfully employed) on probation clear sidewalks.  I don't know how feasible
it is, but I'm intrigued.

However, even if something like that is possible, I think the property owner
should bear the cost, and those costs could go back into the tax coffers.
If those on probation do the work, there are still costs associated with
such an effort.  Why should 10% (or whatever) of irresponsible
able-but-unwilling property owners get a free service from the rest of the
tax payers?  I definitely don't think we want to get into the position of
rewarding those who choose to disregard public safety, be irresponsible
property owners, and flout the law, do you?

I'm open-minded on the topic, but other than having some process in place
for clearing the public sidewalks property owners choose not to clear and
billing the property owner for the cost, I've not seen any workable
suggestions yet.  I believe this to be an important public safety issue that
deserves to have a solution precisely because we live in an area where
there's snow in the winter.

I repeat:  other communities in snow areas long ago came up with workable
solutions to the problem - why can't Moscow?

JMHO . . . Again,

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2008 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****