[Vision2020] Contractors

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 14:47:05 PST 2008

Everyone talks about this as if it were such a simple issue.  First,
there are many of us whom are not property owners, and probably never
will be.  I belong to that demographic.  Am I responsible for
shoveling snow outside my domicile, if it isn't specified in my lease
or rental agreement?

Now let's pretend that I do own the property.  Being a property owner
doesn't automatically mean I'm rich, right?  Let's say I'm
able-bodied, and not infirm, but I can't be there to shovel within the
prescribed time for other, legitimate reasons.  Maybe I'm attending a
wedding, or a funeral, or I work out of town for the majority of every
month.  I'm gainfully employed, but I can't afford to pay someone to
reliably keep my sidewalk snow-free during my absence.

I return and, under J's regime, I might have $500 in fines.  I get
behind on my mortgage.  I lose the house that has been a lifetime
goal.

Why do I lose my house?  Because one of my neighbors likes to traverse
my stretch of sidewalk with Fido in tow, and I have denied her that
pleasure.    Never mind that she has a treadmill and a big backyard
where Fido actually prefers to romp.  She is incensed that I have been
a scofflaw, and have interfered with the free exercise of her
perambulatory zeal.

Later, homeless, I push my shopping cart past her house, grateful that
she has kept her sidewalk clear of snow, not knowing that it is this
harridan who was responsible for my homelessness, but also for the
amputation of three toes off my left foot due to frostbite.

Yes, I painted a parodic, extremist picture, but I'm just trying to
show that it isn't that simple, folks.