[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: How Could Anyone Support That Woman?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Jan 26 11:31:05 PST 2008

Paul!  No, no, no, and forgive me for stating my point in such a way that you were offended.  I'm really sorry.

My intention was to point out that the "true Libertarians" -- the committed free-market, individual-civil- libertarians -- are not the ones responsible for the groundswell of support for Ron Paul.  There aren't enough of them, frankly, to make a difference.  Most of the excitement over RP comes from people who are so (rightfully) horrified about the war that they flock to someone who unequivocally denounces it and makes it clear that any such foreign entanglements are anathema to him and dangerous to our country (ensuring, in a dream world, that it won't happen again), OR from people who, often for religious reasons, are so suspicious of government that they become wedded to property rights, states' rights, as little taxation as possible, isolationism, and a laissez-faire economic structure far beyond what reason or religion ought to allow.  (And by "allow," I mean "permitted logically," not officially sanctioned by any government).

I've assumed, based on your writing, that you have some fairly strong Libertarian leanings.  I disagree with those, but the stupidity I referred to (harshly; "error" would've been better) wasn't yours but that of the two types of "Ronnie-Come-Lately"s described above.  Also, perhaps, to anyone who might vote for Ron Paul because they think he's a terribly entertaining female impersonator who stole the spotlight in the Brady Bunch Movie scene with Jan.  RuPaul, Ron Paul -- my point was that much of the support for Ron Paul has little to do with a serious analysis of his politics.

I just shoulda said it nicer, and I will next time.

Keely