[Vision2020] Here I am With President Romney

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 23:24:11 PST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 10:37 PM, Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Making fun of a person's faith is uncalled for. Just because you may not
> think belief in God is important to a person, doesn't mean it isn't to most
> others.

I think belief in God is very important, even if it isn't a belief I share.

> Remember, discrimination against Jews and Muslims, and even
> Christians as minorities in communities can lead to even physical violence
> against them. Religion is a protected class from discrimination by law, and
> for good reason.

Tom wasn't discriminating against anyone in reproducing this song, nor
was the original author.  He was lampooning, which does not run afoul
of the law.  The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and The Onion all
testify to this fact.

> This was not just an attack on Romney, it was an attack on all Mormons. I am
> not saying it ought to be outlawed. I believe people have the right to be
> prejudiced and make an ass out themselves in expressing that prejudice.

it wasn't an "attack" on anyone.  For examples of "attacks" against
Mormonism, use Google.  Google will reveal scores of anti-Mormon
websites, as well as sites attacking Scientology, Islam, or any faith
that zealous critics consider  a "cult."  A concerted attack on
Scientology is occurring right now.

> This media ad makes fun on Mormon missions and family values, and
> misrepresents Mormons as polygamists. I believe Romney is the only
> Republican candidate to only have one original wife.

I see little evidence of this.  Some invoke "Big Love," but HBO
inserted a disclaimer before every episode making clear that "Big
Love" did not portray the LDS church.  Further, "Big Love" was
affectionate and often touching.  Nowadays, the media largely ignores
the LDS church.   I can think of far more depictions of evil Roman
Catholic archbishops, cardinals, and priests than of Mormon bishops.

> I do find it disgusting that Hansen would find such a media forum making fun
> of his community members and neighbors for their religion entertaining. I
> would never make fun of my neighbors in this way. I have had many neighbors
> that were Mormons, and they were always good to me, even though I am not a
> member of their faith.

I have a complicated religious history.  I was for many years a devout
evangelical Christian.  I sincerely entertained conversion to Judaism.
 I flirted with Buddhism and ISKCON (commonly known as the Hare
Krishnas).  I was baptized a Mormon.  However, even at my most
fervent, I believed that the First Amendment trumped all.  No matter
how inoffensive the doggerel, or how innocuous  the lampooning, some
adherent of a given belief, or institution, will be upset.  This
includes me, if you discover my triggers.  But I'm happy for Tom and
others to poke fun.  Poking fun is not spewing vitriol, which I do
object to, and would move to curtail, if I observed it happening.