[Vision2020] Here I am With President Romney

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 22:37:40 PST 2008

Chas,

  Making fun of a person's faith is uncalled for. Just because you may not think belief in God is important to a person, doesn't mean it isn't to most others. Remember, discrimination against Jews and Muslims, and even Christians as minorities in communities can lead to even physical violence against them. Religion is a protected class from discrimination by law, and for good reason.

  This was not just an attack on Romney, it was an attack on all Mormons. I am not saying it ought to be outlawed. I believe people have the right to be prejudiced and make an ass out themselves in expressing that prejudice.

  This media ad makes fun on Mormon missions and family values, and misrepresents Mormons as polygamists. I believe Romney is the only Republican candidate to only have one original wife.

  I do find it disgusting that Hansen would find such a media forum making fun of his community members and neighbors for their religion entertaining. I would never make fun of my neighbors in this way. I have had many neighbors that were Mormons, and they were always good to me, even though I am not a member of their faith.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Chasuk <chasuk at gmail.com> wrote:
  On Jan 25, 2008 8:56 PM, Donovan Arnold wrote:

> This is disgusting Hansen!

I'm going to have to disagree with you, Donovan. Religion doesn't
exist in a special category, exempt from ridicule. Romney is too easy
of a target for this to be funny, but it hardly qualifies as
"disgusting." I'd bet that Romney himself would defend it on Free
Speech principles.

Now that I have defended Tom, let me backpedal just enough to indicate
that my sense of humor does not, in this case, correspond with Tom's.
Further, I find negative campaigning distasteful. But I don't see
that Tom was negative campaigning; he was just sharing with us
something that he personally found humorous. Any voter who would have
been influenced by this doggerel would not have voted for Romney in
the first place.

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com