[Vision2020] Dont Ask, Dont Tell Policy Has Failed

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jan 21 15:39:07 PST 2008

>From the January 28, 2008 edition of the Army Times

‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy has failed

On Nov. 30, I spoke on the Mall [in Washington, D.C.] at an event to honor
the service of 12,000 patriots who had been discharged from our military
under the “don’t ask, don’t tell” law. These 12,000 patriots had
volunteered to serve their nation and place themselves in harm’s way so
that 300 million other Americans could live free.

They were well trained and serving honorably but were rejected by their
military services because of their sexual preferences, which are legally
protected in every other segment of our society. DADT is a failed policy
on three counts: moral, humane and national security.

It is morally wrong because it legitimizes a politically expedient lie of
omission that violates military values, such as trust, respect and
integrity. What’s the effect of justifying lies of omission in other
military affairs?

It is inhumane because we ask gays and lesbians to endure the hardships of
military service and be subjected to the emotional pressure of being
outed — forced into the shadows as second-class citizens by the
institution they serve.

Finally, DADT is a threat to national security at the strategic level
because one day, the 65,000 currently serving gays and lesbians might
choose to out themselves, thus devastating military capabilities and
readiness, to say nothing of a recruiting and training nightmare. At the
tactical level, it creates a threat in that foreign agents could use the
threat of outing gays and lesbians holding high security clearances to
secure their cooperation.

Many of our senior leaders defend DADT by saying that “it’s working,” and
that having gays and lesbians openly serve would hurt morale and unit
cohesion.

I counter that it didn’t work for the 12,000 patriots discharged because
of it, nor does it for the 65,000 currently serving. To the unit cohesion
and morale argument, I counter that gays and lesbians serve openly and
honorably in the militaries of all our major allies. Why does it work well
for them?

I doubt that it’s because young American service members and their junior
leaders lack the maturity, humanity and intelligence to serve with and
lead gays and lesbians. Perhaps it is because we have a senior leadership
that lacks the skill and/or the will to lead an all-volunteer force that,
in fact, includes all.

Major General Dennis Laich (ret.)
Dublin, Ohio

Pro patria,

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the
tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

-- Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.