[Vision2020] Banned From Church

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 14:26:59 PST 2008

Ken,

  I think enforcing the law and maintaining social order on the basis of what they paid in taxes would be a detriment to society, and would most likely promote and create a vigilante sort of justice to save on government fees and taxes. It would also create huge injustices in law enforcement.

  If you want to debate if churches should get a tax break or not that would be an interesting debate.

  My personal objection with taxes being levied against churches is that when a government can tax a church, it is also being given the power to shut it down at the same time , which is a violation of the First Amendment rights. IMHO, the government gets enough money as it is. It would be nice to have one place inside our borders where its greedy fingers don't get into your wallet.

  The church goers pay taxes through the nose already. Adding another tax for them to support where the state is not suppose to be involved is not called for in my opinion.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Kenneth Marcy <kmmos1 at verizon.net> wrote:
  On Saturday 19 January 2008 09:48, Tom Hansen wrote:
> Cops arrest and handcuff little old lady banned from church because she
> didn't like the pastor.

> On a quiet Sunday morning in June, as worshippers settled into the pews at
> Allen Baptist Church in southwestern Michigan, Pastor Jason Burrick
> grabbed his cellphone and dialed 911. When a dispatcher answered, the
> preacher said a former congregant was in the sanctuary. "And we need to,
> um, have her out A.S.A.P."
>
> Half an hour later, 71-year-old Karolyn Caskey, a church member for nearly
> 50 years who had taught Sunday school and regularly donated 10% of her
> pension, was led out by a state trooper and a county sheriff's officer.
> One held her purse and Bible. The other put her in handcuffs. (Listen to
> the 911 call)

Since when should the local property-tax-paying residents be obligated to
provide sergeant-at-arms services to non-property-tax-paying congregations?
Should income-tax-paying state residents be obligated to pay for otherwise
laudable inter-agency cooperation through such a church-state veil of
separation that is not penetrated by income taxes?

Should the local constabulary send a bill for a service call to the pastor?

Yes, officers respond to lots of planned organizational activities, but
parade permits, for example, can have fees attached to them that are
collected in advance. Pastor Burrick knew in advance that he didn't like
his long-time parishioner, and should have made arrangements to privately
handle her appearance rather than ask the tax-payers for assistance in a
non-threatening, non-emergency, non-riot situation. Absent such
arrangements, or their feasibility, the pastor deserves service charges.

Ken

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com