[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Will Moscow support Hawkins sprawl-mall?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 19:47:02 PST 2008

Paul,

  I think the benefits of having more jobs for Moscow residents out weighs any of the negatives we that may result. $7-$10 an hour is more than what most latah residents are making.

  The property taxes will go to Whitman. But the city will be more than compensated for their utility usage. I think it is a fair trade.

  I personally would like them to be placed inside Latah or city limits, but Moscow and Latah are not that business friendly and have highly unrealistic expectations for any business, so this is the best that can be done for now.

  I don't believe big chain stores are in direct competition with any of the proposed big chains entering the shopping center, and it provides an opportunity for local businesses to locate on the west side of town along side other retail establishments.

  Best,

  Donovan

Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Donovan Arnold wrote:
> I think it would be a significant advantage to have a mall on the
> western edge of Moscow accepts and competes with the big chain only
> stores in the Palouse Empire Mall that prohibits local businesses from
> leasing there. I also think it would allow other chains in Spokane to
> locate here, and provide jobs to local students and residents,
> increasing wages and competition for quality laborers rather than
> providing them to people in Spokane.

It would give some jobs to local people while at the same time funneling
much of the retail profit out of town. A few benefit by making 8$ an
hour, everyone else sees their money sent out of the area. If you're
upset about the Palouse Empire Mall that "prohibits local businesses
from leasing there", wouldn't you also be upset about yet another
mega-mall (YAMM) bringing in more chain stores? Or do you just want to
stick it to the Palouse Empire Mall even if doing so doesn't help the
problem?

Paul