[Vision2020] [Bulk] Hawkins Mega-Mall

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 09:58:35 PST 2008

Like you stated in your first paragraph, we are in a good bargaining
position.  They don't want to put the mall there simply as a random
choice.  They want to tap our population as customers.  Pullman doesn't
wan to have to extend it's utilities out eight miles to this mall, and
I'm sure Hawkins doesn't want to pay for it.  So we should make the most
of our bargaining position.  If they don't want to play, they can put
the mall on the other side of Pullman and lose some of their potential
customer base.

So the big question is: what do we want?  Do we want to protect our
aquifer?  Then maybe we should work out some kind of a deal where they
pay us for the extra water usage.  We could then use that money to build
our water infrastructure, however that is done.  Do we want to lessen
it's impact aesthetically?  Contract with them to plant some trees or do
some landscaping.  Do we want to lessen it's affect on the carbon chain,
like Ted suggested?  Force them to take some steps to balance that.  We
can't make any of this happen through laws normally because they are not
in our state, but we can make a binding contract if they will agree to
one.  The question for them will be: should we move this elsewhere and
lose the easy revenue stream?  Should we deal only with Pullman for
everything, eight miles away?  Or should we play ball and help to
benefit our neighbor city that's a few hundred yards away?

We can't be the only city ever to exist on the border between two states
with the other town close by.  What has been done elsewhere?

Paul