[Vision2020] Hawkins Mega-Mall

roger hayes rhayes at turbonet.com
Sun Jan 13 08:16:46 PST 2008

Hawkins is pretty desperate to tap into the Moscow market or else they
would be looking for a location closer to Pullman. The Whitman county
commissioners would be happy to infuse their county with the tax
dollars sucked out of Moscow citizens. I do not think the city of
Pullman is very interested in running sewer and water all the way to
the Idaho border.  Why would they want to encourage business
development that would be detrimental to their local businesses and tax
base?

That brings us to the question of why the Moscow city council seems
interested in negotiating with Whitman county and Hawkins. Last week
Hawkins proposed that Whitman county float a bond for around 10.5
million dollars to lay infrastructure to their development. It doesn't
look like that is going to happen. Probably the commissioners see that
Whitman county voters are not dumb enough to fall for that. And as I
said earlier, Pullman does not seem dumb enough to allow injury to
their growing economy.  So now, who is dumb enough? Eyes turn to the
Moscow city council.

There's gonna be some explaining to do if our city council falls for
this scheme. I already can see the hoards of angry tax payers with
pitchforks and torches surrounding the chamber council demanding an
explanation.

Who will profit? Moscow? Hardly. Sprawl without even the benefit of
taxes. No legal control over the development. Continued depletion of
our water resources. Improvements to Moscow's water and sewer, police
and fire departments will fall on already overburdened residential tax
payers.

Who stands to profit? That some members of our council seem interested
in this is very suspicious.

Roger Hayes
Moscow