[Vision2020] spam text messages

Nance Ceccarelli njc at moscow.com
Fri Jan 11 08:10:37 PST 2008

Dear visionaries:
We had this problem with ATT/Cingular/ATT  (Uof I/pers) accounts
approximately 1 year ago.

The solutions offered were the same:  1) cut off all text for all four
phones; or, 2) subscribe to an unlimited text msg service; and 3) reply
"STOP" to all.

As Ms. Bafus described - some disallowed the "stop" reply, and paying for
unlimited service for something we rarely needed or used seemed ridiculous.
Our ingenious, albeit cumbersome, solution was to call and bother the
customer service reps every month the bill came and demand the charges
reversed.  We also kept a log of all the messages' sending
numbers/identifying information and gave that to the csr's dealing with the
billing issues.

It took about three, maybe four, terribly annoying billing cycles - but
miraculously, all text spam has stopped since March of 2007.  We've been
"cured" (knock wood!).

Another option is to leave the tel # turned off - except when you really
need it.  Our clients have learned that leaving a voice mail works really
well.  We always call them back and are prepared to answer those clients'
questions with their file in hand.  My associates and I are more productive
and polite when we aren't answering a cell phone that rings in the middle of
meetings with others, while driving, while sitting at lunch, etc.

Just a thought or two.  :-)

nc

Nance Ceccarelli
1031 Showalter Road