[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Iowa caucus stuff: The Opposite of Bush

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 5 09:25:33 PST 2008

On Friday 04 January 2008 21:06, Paul Rumelhart wrote:
> Maybe we should hold the Presidency as an auction on e-bay, proceeds to
> go to reducing the national debt.

We're pretty close to an auction system already with private financing. The
major problem is that donor-investor-winners extract as much financial
power and privilege with respect to non-winners as they can, with the
result that financial assets and institutional control are progressively
more concentrated in the donor classes. Thinking of themselves, the donor
classes wish to maintain the system that protects their advantages. That
significant social problems could be solved with different expenditure and
asset distribution patterns is neither their interest or concern. That,
analogous to the corporation that returns dividends to investors so they
may better invest them elsewhere, restructuring the national economic
edifice could solve social problems, improve the economy, and create a
better society for all appears to be beyond the imagination of those who
merely acquire to retain assets, power, and control of the system that
supports them.

> The candidates with the most money have the best chance of winning,
> anyway.

Unfortunately, yes. Campaign finance reform is the most pressing national
problem facing Americans simply because better solutions to so many other
problems depend on more equitable sharing of decision-making and exercise
of economic power among the wealthy and the not-so-rich.

This is a millennia-old problem that societies' consistent failure to solve
redounds to the suboptimal civil satisfactions which so many suffer.

Ken