[Vision2020] book recommendations

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 08:27:25 PST 2008

This is an old one (1998) but I just read and liked it.
Janet Evanovich, bestselling author of One for the Money, Two for the Dough, and Three to Get Deadly, scores big with Four to Score, her most thrilling Stephanie Plum adventure yet. Working for her bail bondsman cousin, Vinnie, Stephanie is hot on the trail of revenge-seeking waitress Maxine Nowicki, whose crimes include bail jumping, theft, and extortion. Someone is terrifying Maxine's friends, and those who have seen her are turning up dead. Also on the hunt for Maxine is Joyce Barnhardt, Stephanie's archenemy and rival bounty hunter. Stephanie's attitude never wavers - even when aided by Grandma Mazur, ex-hooker and wannabe bounty hunter Lula, and transvestite rock musician Sally Sweet - and even when Stephanie makes an enemy whose deadly tactics escalate from threatening messages to firebombs. All of this pales in comparison, though, with an even greater danger Stephanie faces, when, homeless and broke, she and her hamster Rex move in with vice cop Joe Morelli.
   RATED PG35 for licentious wit and libidinous cohabitation.
   Best Selling Author Janet Evanovich is the recipient of the Crime Writers Association's John Creasey Memorial, Last Laugh and Silver Dagger awards, Left Coast Crime's Lefty award and is a two time winner of The Independent Booksellers Association's Dilys award. She Lives in New Hampshire, where she is at work on her next Stephanie Plum adventure.
I am currently reading 'O' is for Outlaw by Sue Grafton. I like most of her books.
             The       call comes on a Monday morning from a guy who scavenges defaulted storage       units at auction. The weekend before, he'd bought a stack of cardboard       boxes. In one, there was a collection of childhood memorabilia with       Kinsey's name all over it. For thirty bucks, he was offering Kinsey the       lot.       Though she's never been one       for personal possessions, curiosity is a powerful force. She agrees to       meet the guy, then hands over a twenty (she may be curious, but she's also       cheap and she loves a bargain).
       What she finds among the items       is an old undelivered letter to her that will force her to reexamine her       beliefs about the breakup of her first marriage . . . about the honor of her       first husband . . . and about an old unsolved murder.
       It will put her life in the       gravest peril.
       "O" Is for       Outlaw: Kinsey's fifteenth excursion into the dark side of human       nature.
       Through fourteen books,       readers have been fed short rations when it comes to Kinsey Millhone's       past: a morsel here, a dollop there. We know about the aunt who raised       her, the second husband who left her, the long-lost family up the       California coast. But husband number one has remained a blip on the       screen. Until now. "O" is for Outlaw: a revealing       excursion into Kinsey's past.

Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  Message          st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }           I almost forgot . . .

  Two other must reads (one recommended by me, the other by my most significant other)

  The restroom walls at John’s Alley – I really can’t see where they come up with this material .

    Seeya round town, Moscow.

 “I’ll just speak for our church, in Christ Church.  If I found out that a member of our church or a church officer was lying to non-believers in the community, as a way to get by or protect themself or protect his reputation, yes, he’d be disciplined.”

 - Doug Wilson (January 31, 2007)