[Vision2020] Idaho Task Force Looks at Stricter Marriage Law

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Jan 2 11:37:08 PST 2008

Speaking as one who is in a marriage she considers a covenant between herself, her husband, and their God, I'd say this is a phenomenally bad idea.

I'm all for reducing the number of divorces -- IF, in doing so, it increases the number of healthy, safe, nurturing and committed partnerships.  A lower divorce rate means nothing to me if the reduction in divorce means that more women suffer from abuse in all its forms, more men are affirmed in their bullying, and more children are subject to an intact marriage that has nothing to do with a loving commitment between Mom and Dad that reflects values of peace, goodwill, respect and sacrificial love.

None of which, by the way, can be legislated.  Love by governmental fiat isn't love; love that struggles through on its own with no need for official proclamation of its existence is.  My commitment may reflect what the law says, but that's just a happy result of honest, meaningful love.

Keely