[Vision2020] Legislative Update 9 from Rep Trail - Feb 25-29th

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Fri Feb 29 19:09:19 PST 2008

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER IX--FEBRUARY 25-29/2008

Constituents:

Well, the Ides of March are almost upon us, and the Idaho Legislature has a
long way to go before finishing up major business.   It sounds like lots of
excitement in Moscow with a stray moose wandering around the middle school
grounds, and all of the students were kept inside.  When I told this story
of other legislators they remarked that we should change the name of Moscow
to Moosecow, and I guess that would make us Moosecovites.

Monday I attended a press conference with Governor Otter.  He signed the
Dog Fighting/ Felony Penalty bill.  He gave me the pen that he used to sign
the bill.  I heard that a fund raiser for our local animal shelter was
being sponsored on Saturday with a dance and other activities.  I sent the
pen on to Moscow indicating that it might be a great auction item to raise
funds.  It will now go on E bay for auction.  All funds will go toward our
local Humane Society and Animal Shelter.   It will be fun to see how high
the bidding goes.   I just received word that the Wyoming Senate just past
their Dog Fighting Felony bill by a 29-1 margin.  This next year I plan on
sponsoring a Game Cock Fighting/Felony Penalty bill -- we are the only
state without the felony penalty.

Here are some other issues:

 1  The Big Issues  --  The Press has criticized both the Legislature and
the Governor's Office for delaying action on three key issues:

     a. Grocery Tax  --  The Governor has yet to bring his plan to the
House Rev and Tax Committee.   However, I understand that Rev and Tax did
approve the introduction of a new bill this morning.  The bill would
provide increased tax credits for Idaho citizens.   I understand this bill
has provisions that would allow the very low income citizens who don't file
income tax a chance to claim their credit.

     b.  Personal Property Tax  --  I understand that a bill is almost
ready to be introduced. The business community wants to get rid of this
administrative headache that covers everything from business furnishings,
computers, and pencils.  Alex LaBeau, IACI President, plans on introducing
the bill after the grocery tax legislation moves ahead.  I expressed my
concerns to Mr. LaBeau that I'd support the bill if it has a neutral impact
municipalities and counties.   He said it would, but the devil’s in the
details.   If it has a neutral impact, I can support it since it would help
our small businesses and not add more taxes on our local citizens.

      c. Transportation  --  I was at a Grange meeting when the
announcement came out that the Governor was proposing a flat $150
registration charge on all cars.  No one at the Grange meeting supported
the idea.   I suspect that legislators are crafting various bills that
would increase registration charges, but in a tiered or layer approach with
more expensive cars being charged more.  I suspect the increased fees might
be phased in over time.   The disadvantage of increase registration fees is
that it doesn't tap the tourists and truckers driving through state, but
implies raising taxes on fuel.   I don't think that idea will fly right now.

 2.  HB 501  -- Protection of Victims of Domestic Violence  --  this bill
that I cosponsored with Representative Ringo passed the House by a 67-0
margin.  The bill would protect the addresses of harassed victims of
domestic violence by allowing the Sec. of State to serve as their post
office.  This has been a very successful program in 22 states.

 3.  Scholarships  --  JFAC approved $12 million for the needs based Idaho
Opportunity Scholarship Program.   This is the scholarship program that
I've worked on for the past four years with the State Board of Education.
Ten million will go to the endowment fun thus building it up to $20
million.  The goal is reach $40 million which will sustain the program with
no new funds being added.  The Governor wanted to go for $50 million but I
suspect with the financial problems the ten million will be it for this
year.   It is interesting to note that there are 196 students at the
University of Idaho already enrolled in the program with scholarships
totaling near $600,000.   There is another scholarship program that would
create a scholarship fund for nurses who teach nurses.

 4   HB557  --  Field Burning  --  this passed today by a 64-0 margin.
This will restore the traditional practice of field burning of blue grass
but with strict new standards that afford schools, hospitals and asthma
sufferers special protection.  It will also allow farmers to grow up to
20,000 acres of blue grass a year and the monitoring function will go over
to DEQ.

 5.  Tax Breaks for Uranium Enrichment Plant  --  The House Tax Committee
passed a bill providing big tax breaks for a French nuclear services
company to build a plant in Eastern Idaho.  We've gone down this tax break
path before for Micron and Albertson with very little benefit to show for it.

 6.  Early Childhood Education  --  Most Idahoans believe that the
government should provide high quality pre-K programs according to a BSU
survey.  Generally, in Idaho early education is neither available nor
affordable.  Idaho law prohibits the expenditure of public school money on
children under the age of 5 so most of the programs are either federally or
privately funded.   Research with programs like Head Start clearly shows
that there is at least a $4-$5 payoff for every dollar invested. I'm a
co-sponsor of a bill sponsored by Senator. Schroeder which would give
districts the option of leyving taxes to support early childhood education.

 7.  ISTARS  --  The ISTARS Teacher Merit Pay Proposal was voted down by a
19-16 margin in the Senate this morning.

Well, those are some of the highlights of the week.   We keep hearing that
we will wind up business by March 31st.  I'd appreciate your comments and
recommendations.
My e mail is ttrail at house.idaho.gov and phone (208) 332-1184.

Representative Tom Trail