[Vision2020] Better Match Investment Timelines (was: Otter Has Plan)

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 28 22:58:44 PST 2008

On Thursday 28 February 2008 13:07, Craine Kit wrote:
> I agree with the Governor that we need to raise money to fix the
> roads. However, I think it should be done by charging for potential
> damage. That would be a combination of charging licence fees based on
> the weight of the vehicle, a surcharge on the purchase of studded
> tires, and a small increase in the gas tax.
<snip multiple old posts not needed to waste archive server space>

Yes, the State of Idaho needs more capital investment funds for
transportation infrastructure expansion, improvement, and repair. Missing
so far in the discussion of characteristics of funding sources acceptable
for such purposes is a better matching of the payments for the funding of
the capital and the timeline for the usage of the infrastructure built with
that capital. Thus far suggestions have been of a pay-as-you-incur-expense
nature for raising capital to build long-term infrastructure assets.

A more satisfactory matching of the timelines would come from capital raised
from expenditures for longer-term investments and then transferred as
capital for infrastructure investments. In other words, tax items at their
purchase that likely will be used for a longer time, perhaps the same
longer time that the infrastructure will be used. This helps to reduce the
short-term regressive characteristics of using expense taxation to pay for
capital construction.

What to tax? Well, how about building materials that will become parts of
homes and business structures that will presumably stand for extended
periods of time near the newer and repaired roads that service the land on
which those buildings sit?

This policy will have the salutary effect of asking some of Idaho's newer
residents, who presumably want to become long-term residents, to help pay
for roads and bridges and goat trail widening to which existing longer-term
residents have already enjoyed the pleasure of contributing. It will also
focus tax receipts from those areas of the state that are growing more
rapidly, and thus are more likely to need such infrastructure investments.

Ken