[Vision2020] Narcissist Nader May Run Attention

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Tue Feb 26 18:51:06 PST 2008

Almost arrogant that one uses the phrase, "consensus of most historians"
without some citation.    Of course historians do make qualitative
judgments, but folks need to remember that historical events are static as
they happen, but continue to live through interpretation.  Even historians
spend a lot of time rebutting each other.  And occasionally a rebuttal
results in a refutation.  The instance that comes to mind is an error made
by a historian considered by other historians to be a giant, Henry Steele
Commager.  And yet he said, in reference to slavery that it wasn't such a
brutal institution. He also made other derogatory remarks in a textbook he
wrote as a professor at Harvard.   Some years later he stated his words were
the worst generalization he had ever made.

So if the list of history's worst presidents are those four, who says so?
Personally, my list of four would include Harding, Nixon, GW Bush, and
possibly Buchanan or Pierce.  Chester Arthur is down there somewhere, except
he proved to be more adroit than most of his critics thought he would be.

And I have work to do, but this is an interesting chain, even though it no
longer bears any relation to the subject line.

Sue