[Vision2020] God's problem

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 19:38:14 PST 2008

Andrew writes:

"Humans are restricted to living on various places on the Earth. The
Earth, I have been informed, is an unpleasant place. 66% of it is
uninhabitable on account of its being filled with a noxious and salty
fluid we are unable to breathe."

  Earth is not an unpleasant place to me. It is beautiful, wonderful, and the only place in the known universe that is hospitable to human life. If you know of another better place, feel free to go there and take as many people with you as possible. And you doubt if the earth wasn't covered 2/3 with waters, humans would not try to populate and exploit it too? How inhabitable would the 1/3 we live on be if it was not for the other 2/3 s we cannot yet occupy and destroy full time?

  "The remainder suffers from excess of cold, excess of heat, mosquitoes and biting flies, avalanches (where it's cold), hurricanes (where it isn't), wolves, lions, tigers, bears,
syphilis and tuberculosis, obesity (where there's food) and starvation
(where there isn't). We also have brain cancer, heart attacks and
Alzheimer's, meteor impacts, lightning strikes, brake failures and
schizophrenia, if you would prefer more personal methods of summary."

  Almost all of these are human caused. Humans can live in the hottest and coldest places on the planet, and have for thousands of years with only what God gave them. Humans are also responsible for many of the environmental problems we must now endure with their machines and polluting factories and overpopulation.

  How many people do you know that have died from wolves, bears, tigers, lightening strikes, and meteor impacts? Maybe 100 people out of how many billions? And how many of those deaths were the result of a person or persons doing something stupid, like poking the tiger with a stick and a zookeeper putting the tiger in an escapable cage?

  How is the spread of syphilis, heart attacks, brake failures, and obesity not the direct fault of humans?

  Cancer we know what causes that. Some things, like Alzheimers, you might have a point. But I believe that if humans would put resources into this we could find the cause, and it would most likely be something that humans are doing wrong to each other or to themselves or maybe the planet.

  I am yet to find an example, or a human problem that is not human caused in some way.

  I am not saying individuals are responsible for everything that happens to them individually, but what I am saying, is that humans suffer because of humans acting and behaving in a manner that is against God or nature.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

  The remainder suffers from excess of
cold, excess of heat, mosquitoes and biting flies, avalanches (where
it's cold), hurricanes (where it isn't), wolves, lions, tigers, bears,
syphilis and tuberculosis, obesity (where there's food) and starvation
(where there isn't). We also have brain cancer, heart attacks and
Alzheimers, meteor impacts, lightning strikes, brake failures and
schizophrenia, if you would prefer more personal methods of summary.

Andreas Schou <ophite at gmail.com> wrote:
  Donovan --

Seriously.

Humans are restricted to living on various places on the Earth. The
Earth, I have been informed, is an unpleasant place. 66% of it is
uninhabitable on account of its being filled with a noxious and salty
fluid we are unable to breathe. The remainder suffers from excess of
cold, excess of heat, mosquitoes and biting flies, avalanches (where
it's cold), hurricanes (where it isn't), wolves, lions, tigers, bears,
syphilis and tuberculosis, obesity (where there's food) and starvation
(where there isn't). We also have brain cancer, heart attacks and
Alzheimers, meteor impacts, lightning strikes, brake failures and
schizophrenia, if you would prefer more personal methods of summary.

The vast majority of human behavior is dedicated to staving off one of
the myriad ways the Earth has produced for us to suffer, and, as a
byproduct of that staving-off, creating every single one of the unique
methods humans have devised for causing suffering.

Insofar as a hypothetical Creator has given us the choice between
hurricanes and avalanches, we have "free will." However, nothing in my
experience has led me to believe that we have anything but the
flimsiest control over how, and whether, we suffer.

Perhaps your newfound conviction that people deserve the suffering
they get explains the 180-degree reversal of your political beliefs,
hmm?

-- ACS