[Vision2020] God's problem

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 23:50:03 PST 2008

SPOILER WARNING:  This message contains elements which may be consider
sacrilegious.   Read at your peril.  Don't blame me if you continue
reading and are unhappy about the content.  Remember, you do have free
will.

Donovan,

if God had given the descendants of Adam and Eve indestructible maps
of all of the unsafe places to live in the world, and 21st century
tips on how to build tremor proof housing, first aid training, etc.,
then you might have a point.  But he didn't, so you don't.

Oh... he did?  Pardon me, your point is perfectly valid, then.

Wait... no, it isn't.  Your "point" is complete bollocks, and you know it.

I can picture the conversation now:

Dying 6-year old girl, stricken with a terminal parasitic infection:
"I hurt, Jesus."

Jesus:  "Well, it is your fault, you know.  Don't go blaming me or my Father."

Dying 6-year old girl, stricken with a terminal parasitic infection: "My fault?"

Jesus:  "Yes.  You chose to go swimming in that contaminated river.
You have free will."

I am not omniscient or omnipotent, but I could have developed a better
plan than one which involved torturing children.  And so could you, or
J Ford, or Pat Kraut.  That's what comes with being omniscient and
omnipotent, you can devise perfect plans.  Oh, wait!  If I was God, I
would understand that torturing children was a necessary part of the
perfect plan!

My apologies, Donovan.  The omniscient and omnipotent God created us
and put us on this world, which he also created, where he knew in
advance we would experience pain and suffering.  But the pain and
suffering are our fault, because he gave us free will.  If this seems
perverse or incomprehensible to me, it's because God created me with a
limited intellect.  Is this limitation his fault, or my fault?  Do I
also get blamed for God's creation?

Ah, the ineffable mysteries of God!