[Vision2020] Support for veterans

Matt Decker mattd2107 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 18 09:51:30 PST 2008

Dave,

Thanks for the response.

I did not mean to imply that our solders "bring on their own
> suffering".  I am trying to say that they suffer such debilitating
> images of the horrific events they witnessed because of the internal
> guilt of knowing that they participated in creating those events in the
> first place.  (I still didn't say that very well, but I'm at a loss of
> how to say it better right now)

I am curious to see if you meant, "I am trying to say that they ARE MORE PRONE to suffer such debilitating

> images of the horrific events they witnessed because of the internal

> guilt of knowing that they participated in creating those events in the

> first place."

Also, I am curious, such as Ted, to understand what a just war is. WWII in most eyes, has been viewed as necessary war. One that in the long run saved millions of lives. So under a just war, would the amount of cases of PTSD lower? Assuming the same amount of participants of course. Would Clinton's war in Somalia be considered just, what about Desert Storm? As the worlds police force, should we ever enter a war, in the sake humanity. Let's say Sudan or Congo. One that might involve NATO.

I am also trying to understand your view on patriotism.  I feel myself to be patriotic. Yes I like to fly the American flag, and still like to hear a well sung version of the national anthem. For me its pride. Pride knowing we live in the best place in the world. Knowing that yes sometimes we have idiots leading us into an unnecessary war. However, not being shy to be an American. I wouldn't say I am over zealous on the concept, but still understand we as Americans can have some pride about being American.
So I am wondering if you view my views as robotic like? If so called patriots are molded into such clones incapable of thought. Knowing right between wrong.

I can only imagine how tough it is to be serving in war. The split decisions one has to make. I feel that no matter how just or unjust the war is, PTSD will occur.

Got to go Ill try to get back to this later.

Take care,
Matt