[Vision2020] Support for veterans

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 01:01:12 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Matt Decker <mattd2107 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Are you really stating that if " I believe it is mostly the guilt of their
> actions that causes PTSD"? If so how do you justify the fine members of the
> armed forces in the battles held within the last 300 years. Should I remind
> you of ww2 or even the revolutionary war?

I've tried to unfold this paragraph, but I can't.  Just to clarify,
PTSD has existed for as long as there has been war, and arguably for
as long as there have been traumatic experiences.  Sigmund Freud
diagnosed it in WWI veterans.  Then, it was popularly known as shell
shock.  Before WWI, I don't know what it was called,  but its defining
criteria are as follows (from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of
Mental Disorders IV, cribbed from Wikipedia):

A. Exposure to a traumatic event
B. Persistent reexperience
C. Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma
D. Persistent symptoms of increased arousal (e.g. difficulty falling
or staying asleep or hypervigilance)
E. Duration of symptoms more than 1 month
F. Significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important
areas of functioning

> Even if you are stating that this war is unjust, are you suggesting that
> warriors shouldn't receive care? WTF over.

Dave hijacked the thread, which is an actionable offense (just
kidding, Dave), but nowhere does he imply that veterans shouldn't
receive care.

Chas