[Vision2020] Hawkins Water & Sewer Agreement

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 13:51:37 PST 2008

chasuk at gmail.com wrote:

> You ask whether I think there should have been "more open
> public discussion" first, and my truthful response is no, I don't.
> First, because I believe that there had already been ample opportunity
> for discussion for everyone who had anything viable to say.  Every
> nuance of opinion had already been expressed ad nauseum.

If you are following the posts on Vision2020 regarding the
water/sewer/responders deal between the City of Moscow and Hawkins, you will
find some of the most involved, intelligent and informed citizens in the
community do not believe there has been "ample opportunity for discussion
for everyone who had anything viable to say."  I believe this statement in
quotes is simply false.

Consider the following Vision2020 input on this subject of public
transparency for the public's business conducted by those elected to public
office:

sslund_2007 at verizon.net wrote:

Visionaries:

As I continue to try to understand the Council's decision, I've come across
something else that puzzles me, and I'm hoping someone here can help me to
understand.

My understanding is that the City of Moscow had appealed the transfer to
Hawkins of three water rights, and the mediation was an attempt to
resolve *that
issue*.  Apparently, the City agreed to confidentiality in negotiations as
part of that deal.

However, why was the sewer (in more ways than one!) part of agreement
secretly negotiated and what's the legal authority behind removing that part
of public business from public scrutiny and public input?

To quote Idaho Attorney General Lance Wasden:

"Open and honest government is fundamental to a free society. The Idaho
Legislature formalized our state's commitment to open government by enacting
the Idaho Open Meeting Law in 1974. The Open Meeting Law codifies a simple,
but fundamental, Idaho value: The public's business ought to be done in
public."

Inquiring minds want to understand!

TIA,

Saundra Lund