[Vision2020] Vision2020 Digest, Vol 20, Issue 113

Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 10:54:20 PST 2008

Don:

One detail you don't make clear in your summary of how to record from phono
to computer below:

Records aren't just recorded at an unusually low signal ratio.  They are
also recorded using an RIAA equalization curve.  Thus, simply boosting the
signal to line level doesn't work.  You also need to have the circuitry to
decode that RIAA curve.  For this you need a phono pre-amp (which can be
gotten for about $25).  Or, I'd imagine there are computer programs that
would also do that.  If you do not undo the RIAA your recording will sound
horrible-almost no bass, and greatly attenuated mid and treble.

 1: If your record player has stereo audio RCA outputs on the back, your