[Vision2020] Advanced Real Estate Question

g. crabtree jampot at roadrunner.com
Wed Feb 13 06:15:07 PST 2008

Just a couple of points. Everyone is aware of the old saw "repeat a lie often enough..." Well, droning on about Moscow "subsidizing" the new development surely falls into this category. Hawkins will be paying fair market value for the services they receive. Future infrastructure improvements brought about by increased demand are funded through the monies collected from rate payers for services and not from general tax revenues. As a result Hawkins will be paying its own way right on down the line.

The next point is about the "need" for this development. This is not a public works project. There does not have to be a determination of need before an entrepreneur can decide to take a risk with their own land and assets in hopes of making a profit. I know that there is a sizable group here in Moscow that thinks that all decisions should be made collectively but thankfully we have not quite yet reached that unpleasant point.

Lastly, I have asked this question before but I'll give it one more shot. Since every anti-development writer has bemoaned the councils "need to hide their negotiations" what is it that you think has been kept from us? We have been presented with the final result, all we missed was the sausage making. Is it your contention that something illegal took place? If so, then just say it plain. Making vague and insupportable insinuations is a cheap tool for carving out a weak argument.