[Vision2020] Water and Sewer Agreements: second reply fromWalter Steed

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Tue Feb 12 20:57:32 PST 2008

Perhaps I could have handled this sending of our
councilman's email to  v2020 differently, but I think
it's funny that that aspect has created so much
conversation, rather than the fact that our council
people, for the most part, don't answer our emails at
all.

I appreciate that Walter Steed had the respect to
It's the other council members who support the Greater
Moscow Giveaway, and then ignore our questions, who
trouble me.

The fact is, if we are unable to share with each other
their responses, how would we ever hold them
accountable?  What would prevent them from sending
people different answer, taylored to what they think
the recipient wants to hear?

If council people are uncomfortable responding to
their constituents, then they shouldn't be serving as
elected officials.  Part of their job is to
communicate with us about issues we care about.  Their
lack of response leads me to believe they have no
reasonable defense for their actions.

Those who do respond should be able to stand behind
their replies, and not feel hesitant to have their

If Walter is mad at me for making public his reply,
that is up to him.  Perhaps he'll never reply to me
again.  All that would do is make me lose respect for
him for desiring to maintain some sort of
confidentiallity with a constituent who in the end is
just trying to figure what they are doing, why they
are doing it and to encourage dialog amongst us all so
that we can come to a reasonable understanding.

Sincerely,

Garrett