[Vision2020] Advanced Real Estate Question

pkraut at moscow.com pkraut at moscow.com
Tue Feb 12 17:19:40 PST 2008

I must have missed something...how can it be a subsidies or give away if
they are paying the going rate? A going rate that has not even been
decided yet because we do not know just how much it is going to cost so
we will only be not paid enough if it is allowed. In my conversations
with those on the coucil that is not going to happen so I do not
understand how it is a 'give away'.
If we needed a new sewer system with or with out Hawkins and they are now
going to help pay for it I do not see how that is not to our advantage.
Help me out Jeff because I am not an economist but I thought that the
more people especially businesses that are helping to pay could reduce
the cost to little folks. Am I wrong??

> On 2/11/08, Kenneth Marcy <kmmos1 at verizon.net> wrote:
>

> > Whether the Hawkins development is be allowed to proceed with Idaho
> > subsidies, or asked to proceed without them, or frozen in place by
several
> > or all relevant jurisdictions until planning results and decisions
are in
> > place are options yet unresolved as far as I know. It is not
unreasonable,
> > however, to ask that these options be examined in publicly available
fora,
> > and decisions taken with at least some cognizance of future corridor
> > development expectations.
> >

> > Ken
>

> >From what I have gathered the "options examined in public..."
consideration
> regarding the Hawkins development is mostly absent.  A private
developer,
> and government servants who apparently are oriented toward thinking free
> market corporate capitalism is the answer to the most critical problems
of
> the future, are making decisions for Moscow as though public input
should
> not be critically involved.
>
> Given the facts and arguments presented to Vision2020, an an open mind
> regarding the claims and counter claims of economic impacts, I can't
decide
> whether or not the Hawkins development supported by Moscow services
(water,
> sewer, responders) is a deal revealing collusion, etc. to benefit a few
at
> the cost of Moscow taxpayers, as some have claimed, or whether it will
in
> the long run be an economic benefit to most all of Moscow.
>
> And there are critical issues regarding this Hawkins development that
are
> not even on the radar in this discussion, such as mitigation of CO2
> emissions related climate change, and those eventual massive economic
> impacts, and the economic consequences of fossil fuel depletion, as it
> relates to the long term viability of sprawling suburban development,
when
> the fossil fueled fleet of vehicles that deliver to, service and allow
> consumer access to this development, becomes very expensive to operate.
>
> Where is the long term local planning to address climate change and
fossil
> fuel depletion regarding the Hawkins development?  I've heard
announcements
> from the City of Moscow about being a leader in sustainability, yet is
the
> Hawkins development to be built with Green building certification?
Will it
> incorporate solar or wind or biofuel for its electricity, or maximum
> efficiency in use of water (capturing rain water for some uses, for
example,
> lessening the drain on the aquifer)?  Did the city make the request for
> Green building certification as a condition of providing services?
Will the