[Vision2020] Advanced Real Estate Question

david sarff davesway at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 12 15:38:44 PST 2008

In my opinion. Large scale projects that begin, from here on out, that do not incorporate the new green standard building codes, such as the LEED program supported by the USGBC, stand a high chance of being obsolete nearly upon completion.

Dave

And there are critical issues regarding this Hawkins development that are not even on the radar in this discussion, such as mitigation of CO2 emissions related climate change, and those eventual massive economic impacts, and the economic consequences of fossil fuel depletion, as it relates to the long term viability of sprawling suburban development, when the fossil fueled fleet of vehicles that deliver to, service and allow consumer access to this development, becomes very expensive to operate.

Where is the long term local planning to address climate change and fossil fuel depletion regarding the Hawkins development?  I've heard announcements from the City of Moscow about being a leader in sustainability, yet is the Hawkins development to be built with Green building certification?  Will it incorporate solar or wind or biofuel for its electricity, or maximum efficiency in use of water (capturing rain water for some uses, for example, lessening the drain on the aquifer)?  Did the city make the request for Green building certification as a condition of providing services?  Will the location of this mall result in increases in Moscow/Pullman CO2 transportation related releases over more centralized locations?  The goods and services that Moscow and Pullman need from outside our area might more efficiently be provided by commercial outlets that are more centrally located in each city.

Ted Moffett