[Vision2020] Advanced Real Estate Question

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 13:47:54 PST 2008

On 2/11/08, Kenneth Marcy <kmmos1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Whether the Hawkins development is be allowed to proceed with Idaho
> subsidies, or asked to proceed without them, or frozen in place by several
> or all relevant jurisdictions until planning results and decisions are in
> place are options yet unresolved as far as I know. It is not unreasonable,
> however, to ask that these options be examined in publicly available fora,
> and decisions taken with at least some cognizance of future corridor
> development expectations.
>

> Ken

>From what I have gathered the "options examined in public..." consideration
regarding the Hawkins development is mostly absent.  A private developer,
and government servants who apparently are oriented toward thinking free
market corporate capitalism is the answer to the most critical problems of
the future, are making decisions for Moscow as though public input should
not be critically involved.

Given the facts and arguments presented to Vision2020, an an open mind
regarding the claims and counter claims of economic impacts, I can't decide
whether or not the Hawkins development supported by Moscow services (water,
sewer, responders) is a deal revealing collusion, etc. to benefit a few at
the cost of Moscow taxpayers, as some have claimed, or whether it will in
the long run be an economic benefit to most all of Moscow.

And there are critical issues regarding this Hawkins development that are
not even on the radar in this discussion, such as mitigation of CO2
emissions related climate change, and those eventual massive economic
impacts, and the economic consequences of fossil fuel depletion, as it
relates to the long term viability of sprawling suburban development, when
the fossil fueled fleet of vehicles that deliver to, service and allow
consumer access to this development, becomes very expensive to operate.

Where is the long term local planning to address climate change and fossil
fuel depletion regarding the Hawkins development?  I've heard announcements
from the City of Moscow about being a leader in sustainability, yet is the
Hawkins development to be built with Green building certification?  Will it
incorporate solar or wind or biofuel for its electricity, or maximum
efficiency in use of water (capturing rain water for some uses, for example,
lessening the drain on the aquifer)?  Did the city make the request for
Green building certification as a condition of providing services?  Will the
location of this mall result in increases in Moscow/Pullman CO2
transportation related releases over more centralized locations?  The goods
and services that Moscow and Pullman need from outside our area might more
efficiently be provided by commercial outlets that are more centrally
located in each city.

Ted Moffett