[Vision2020] Water and Sewer Agreements: reply from Walter Steed

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Feb 10 13:24:14 PST 2008

Mr. Keim -

Please excuse my ignorance of PBAC.

I agree with your suggestion of expanding PBAC's authority 100%.  The
alternative, I am afraid (please correct me if I am wrong), would almost
require a federal mandate, which (in my estimation) would be long and
painfully tedious.

Thanks,

> Tom,
>
> PBAC does have representation from several different impacted
communities.
> They put on a fantastic water summit last fall.
>
> I don't know about the PBAC's governing ability.  I believe it is
strictly
> advisory, with minimal actual power.  I suggest the way to get a
governing
> committee, would be to enhance the regulatory power of the existing PBAC,
> rather than start a new group from scratch. I suspect getting a true
> governing committee with adequate powers to function across state lines
> would be enormously difficult.
>
> On Feb 10, 2008 1:06 PM, Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:
>
> > I am somewhat familiar with the PBAC.  What I am not familiar with is
its
> > composition and what "powers" it possesses concerning the aquifer.
> >
> > As the PBAC is an advisory group, its recommendations/suggestions
totally
> > lack any enforcement, thus almost discrediting the PBAC altogether.
> >
> > What I am suggesting is a governing committee comprised of members of
the
> > various communities making enforceable decisions based on their
> > community's input.  This committee could be comprised of various
members
> > of the various city councils (this would allow recall capabilities on
the
> > part of the communities concerned), in other words . . .
accountability.

> > Tom Hansen
> > Moscow, Idaho

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)